Wednesday, November 28, 2018

22 October 2018_Scotia

This class was all of two days after the NY Branch's Jeannie Carmichael Ball. I wasn't about to start stressing, either myself or the class, about the Brooklyn class' upcoming Drewry Night program. This was a 'anything but' class.

The dances I taught were:

Davy Nick Nack  -  (32 H 3)  - Campbell
The Lea Rig  -  (32 S 2)  -  Bk 21/5
The City of Stirling Reel  -  (32 R 3)  - Goldring
A Reel for Allice  -  (32 R 5)  - Goldring
One Set Short of a Hundred  -  (32 S 3/3L)  -  Paris Bk.
The Scallywag  -  (40 J 3)  -  Bk 52 (Kelly)
Deil Amang the Tailors  -  (32 R 3)  -  Bk 14

– ::  ––  ::  ––  ::  ––  ::  ––  :: ::  ––  ::  ––  ::  ––  ::  ––  :: –

Davy Nick Nack:- Why? Because the corner changes are HALF TURNS!! and nobody dances them that way unless they are hit with a 2x4 to get their attention. Muscle memory! Feh!
The main fig. opens with a nice big wide open turn 1+1/2 in 4 bars, a cast and a short turn to 1st corners - Then the dance cries out for nice big wide strong turns (just 1/2 way) to change the corners in, change the corners out and for the ones to turn to face 2nd corners.
I hear the cry. Am I the only one?

The Lea Rig:- because it has been decades since it was a common dance. And the music is… classic.
Yes Virginia, it should come back as a std. repertoire piece. But please not every week!

The City of Stirling Reel:- A new intake on NY Branch's dance list. I needed to learn it as it was new to me (too). What is nice here? Well, a snowball chain in QT, abbreviated snake passes - not shortened but for 4 dancers in place of 6. It's a Goldring so how bad could it be.

A Reel for Alice:- Because I like it! I just adore the double capstan move, and the question: Can you make eye contact?

One Set Short of a Hundred:- A sweet simple thing. Contains a diamond poussette (👍) and a tourbillon (👍👍). Did I say simple? I think I did. Well, the world might as well learn 'em 'cause they are going to see them for the rest of their days.

The Scallywag:- This one is a gem!! In a platinum setting. In fact the whole of Book 52 is a gem. I found this dance just a wee bit daunting at first (even second) reading but it eases beautifully with even a touch of familiarity. The only thing I had to work out was the setting figure for 1C in the final 8 bars. I found some who could (and loved it) and some who were just confused: left? right? ??

This one went into my list of top 50 Jigs. Currently sitting at #50 out of 57 - but only because the list is alphabetical.

Deil Amang the Tailors:- not because they needed to learn it, because I needed a simple well known closer.


No comments: