Thursday, October 25, 2018

1 October 2018 – Scotia

The dances:

EH3 7AF  –  (32 J 3)  – Bk 40 (Goldring)
Barbara's Strathspey  –  (32 S 3)  –  Bk 46 (McKinnell)
Bubbly and Cake  –  (32 R 3)  –  Wendy Carse
The Flying Spur  –  (32 J 3)  – Drewry
The Moray Rant  –  (48 S 3/3L)  –  Drewry


––   ÷ ÷ ÷   ––   ÷ ÷ ÷   –––   ÷ ÷ ÷   –––   ÷ ÷ ÷   –––


Barbara's Strathspey:- I have taught it before and commented on it before. Nothing has changed. It is still one of the loveliest dances in the repertoire.

Bubbly and Cake:- I was introduced to this dance by Brian Haeckler, one of the other teachers in New Haven, who was working with Set and Link for three. I think the dance has that 'something' and the dancers at Scotia agreed. They gave it more than just polite clapping.


Diagram courtesy of SCDDB and Keith Rose.

The Flying Spur:- I love it! I always have (well since I first danced it). But what I can not stand is the music that I have for it. Nothing about that recording makes me want to get on the floor and dance. So I use The Famous Baravan instead - recorded by Marian Anderson's Band. that one gets me out of my chair.

I have written about it before and my view that it is actually two dances in one hasn't changed.
The 1st couple have one dance, the supporting couples have a different dance and they occasionally intersect in interesting ways.

The Moray Rant:- One of John Drewry's sleepers - by that I mean there are lots of opportunities to interact with partner and the other dancers and those moments are often missed. And, for me at least, knowing that those moments are just ahead make it easier for me to remember the choreography. The turns are out the side! Why? So you get a moment with partner as you dance toward each other at the bottom, or the top, or…

These last two dances are (or will be) Drewry Night staples. It is hosted by the Brooklyn class of the New York Branch and will be held on 1 December 2018. See the posting in Upcoming Events.



No comments: