Thursday, September 27, 2018

17 September 2018 – Scotia

The dances:

The Findlays' Jig  –  (32 J 3]) –  Goldring
Neidpath Castle  –  (32 S 3/3L)  –  Bk 22 (Haynes)
Gothenburg's Welcome  –  (32 J 3)  –  Bk 37 (Munro)
The Bon Viveur  –  (128 M 4 sq)  –  Bk 52
Links with St. Petersburg  –  (32 J 3)  –  Bk 46 (Brown)
Insomnia  –  (32 S 2)  –  Dragonfly (Montes)
Deil Amang the Tailors  –  (32 R 3)  –  Bk 14

""  ––  ""  ––  ""  ––  ""  ––  ""  ––  ""  ––  ""  ––  ""

The Findlays' Jig:-  We open the experienced portion of the evening with a dance for everyone.
This is a nice easy one and while getting a 'little' old it is far from nauseating. Still a thumbs up.

Neidpath Castle:- A old chestnut. And, usually, the first 8 bars are hard to watch as the dancers seem incapable of covering the turns. I really didn't intend to spend as much time on this dance as I did. (I received comments). But in my defense I got what I wanted - the covering improved.

Gothenburg's Welcome:- I like this dance.  I love all the eye contact that is possible. I have met some dancers who just won't, something to do with flirting with strangers, but the moments here are so fleeting that who could possibly flirt. All you can get are 'hi ya' moments (aren't we having fun!).

The "Dance to each corner and Set" figure has boggled the minds of many and the only solution is sheer repetition, so that is what I did. Practically ad nauseam.  But, oh joy, it was coming together!  😊

The Bon Viveur:- My weekly Book 52 dance.  Essentially simple, it went very quickly. Want to introduce Schiehallion Reels to your class - this is one would be a good choice.

Links with St. Petersburg:- I have liked this dance from the start. It is perennially on my short list of dances to do, but I find myself increasingly reluctant.

When I watch the Summer School or Newcastle festival demo teams I see an intent that I rarely see on the social dance floor. Specifically the transition from the down the middle and up into the mirror turns. The dem. teams end the down the middle and up in place on the sidelines. The turns then clearly start from those places.

Socially dancers seem to get lazy and 1C never go to places but start the turns from the center of the set near hands still  joined with partner. It is mushy! I prefer the clean definition of ending and starting from places.

Too be honest I am not sure the dancers are entirely to blame. Lord knows that when I teach the dance I mention the point but I am more interested in getting the basic geography nailed down and being particular on that point seems like to too much detail in the moment. And nobody benefits from that.

Clearly I need to teach the dance (or program it) again soon and make that a point for refinement.

Insomnia:- A simple enough strathspey, on our Halloween program, but new to the group so it need introducing.

No comments: