Monday, December 4, 2017

29 August 2017 – New Haven

The Last Class of Summer - the last chance to freely experiment.

Dances taught:

Chased Lovers  -  (32 J 3)  -  Wilson
Auld Lang Syne  -  (32 S 3)  -  27/12
Toast to the Mousies  -  (32 R 3)  - Gratiot
Gothenburg's Welcome  -  (32 J 3)  - 37/3 (Munro)
Dowie Dens  -  (32 S 4)  -  Priddey

**  **   ***   ***   *   ***   ***   **  **

Chased Lovers:- What a lovely dance! Previously commented on.

Auld Lang Syne:- Book 27 isn't neither an early publication or a recent one but the society was probably beginning to run out of sources for simple easy dances. This one is a piece of spaghetti choreography. Somewhere somebody is struggling. The devisor, the interpreter, the teacher, the dancer? But it made the cut. Hmmmm.

Toast to the Mousies:- Nice Dance! Nice Music! And I finally have a good recording. This one is a winner, Ah say agin, a Winna. Mind you, I knew that the first time I danced it (Asilomar Weekend 2016) and every time since. What I didn't have was a dance friendly recording. That  has changed. We have now have a set by Muriel Johnstone and Keith Smith. It is for Monica's Garden on their CD Spark o' Water.  Two thumbs up for both the dance and the recording.

Gothenburg's Welcome:- I like it. It is fun. I hate teaching it. The "dance to each corner and set" figure blows dancers' minds and since I get it I don't get it that they don't set it. I have been wanting to put this on a Tea Dance program for years. Someday Real Soon Now. For Sure.

The Dowie Dens:- I love it, but we know I am a monster with very weird tastes.  Highland Schottische setting with partner but with multiple twists. From the Barry Priddey's Golden Oriole Book. At first read I wasn't sure it would flow well but it did better - it flowed beautifully. Short list for 2019? 

I found this one while searching for dances with highland schottische setting. Two dances had been offered up for Tea Dance consideration. They were The Balquhidder Strathspey and Brig o' Doon. Both are from the Mrs MacNab set of collected dances and concerning the latter dance she makes this comment 

"This dance was collected at Dalmellington in the early 19th century. It was a great favourite at the balls in that district."

Ahhhh… right! My personal feeling is that that dance is not suitable for a social occasion. Unless, maybe after a lot of high octane punch? Times have definitely changed or else I am turning into a fuddy duddy old guardist. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gothenburg's Welcome 'dance to each corner and set' looks really interesting, actually. *bookmarks*